Dr Maria Jose Gomez Ramos
Fax: +61 (0) 7 3274 9003
National Research Centre for Environmental Toxicology (Entox)
Coopers Plains QLD 4108
Maria Jose Gomez was awarded her PhD in 2008 for her study on determination of organic pollutants in wastewater and their environmental impact assessment. From 2009 to 2011, she was awarded a “Juan de la Cierva” Research Fellowship of the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology to work at the newly established Madrid Institute for Advanced Studies (IMDEA-Water). Since August 2012 Maria Jose has been employed as a full-time research-only postdoctoral fellow at Entox in collaboration with Queensland Children's Medical Research Institute (QCMRI).
Maria Jose’s work has been focused on developing new analytical methods and strategies to analyse target and non-target environmental contaminants mainly in environmental matrices but also in other matrices. Using such methods she was able to evaluate the fate and impact to the environment of a vast range of chemicals including pharmaceuticals and personal care products, endocrine disruptor compounds, pesticides and other industrial contaminants. She has worked with a broad range of sample preparation techniques and mass spectrometry instruments and in close collaboration with experts in advanced oxidation processes, ecology, toxicity and risk assessment. Since joining the interdisciplinary group of Prof. Mueller at Entox, she has been collaborating with Prof. Sly from QCMRI to develop analytical methods to analyse contaminants in biological samples with the aims to link these exposures to adverse health outcomes.
Mainly focused on the development of new analytical methods for the detection of target, non-target and unknown organic contaminants in different environmental and biological matrices.
Evaluation of the fate and impact of these contaminants in the environment and the identification of transformation products generated in the environment and after the application of treatment technologies.
Link these exposures to adverse health outcomes.
Selected Research Projects
- Identifying and quantifying new psychoactive substances using TOF
- Analysis of archive samples for emerging drugs
- Biomonitoring and investigating early exposure to plastic products in Australia with an emphasis on subsequent neurodevelopmental effects.
- Exposure to bisphenol-A and environmental plastic pollutants in pregnancy and early childhood
- Developing new analytical methods using high resolution mass spectrometry to identify new environmental contaminants in human biological samples
- An integrated assessment of anthropogenic pollutant levels and their ecological impact on river basins
- Treatment and reuse of wastewater for sustainable management
1. Santiago-Morales, J., Gómez, M.J., Herrera-López, S., Fernández-Alba, A.R., García-Calvo, E., Rosal, R. Energy efficiency for the removal of non-polar pollutants during ultraviolet irradiation, visible light photocatalysis and ozonation of a wastewater effluent (2013). Water Research, 47, 5546-5556.
2. Herrera, S, Hernando M.D., Gómez, M.J., Santiago-Morales, Rosal, R., J. Fernández-Alba, A.R. Investigation of Galaxolide degradation products generated under oxidative and irradiation processes by liquid chromatography-hybrid quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry (LC-QTOFMS) and comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry (GCxGC-TOF-MS) (2013). Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 27, 1237-1250.
3. Herrera, S., Gómez, M. J., Hernando M.D, Fernández-Alba, A.R. Automated dynamic headspace followed by a comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography full scan time-of-flight mass spectrometry method for screening of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in water (2013) Analytical Methods, 5,1165-1177
4. Martínez Bueno, M. J., Ulaszewska, M. M., Gomez, M. J., Hernando, M.D., Fernández-Alba, A.R. Simultaneous measurement in mass and mass/mass mode for accurate qualitative and quantitative screening analysis of pharmaceuticals in river water (2012) Journal of Chromatography A, 1256, 80-88.
5. Gómez, M.J., Herrera, S., Solé, D., García-Calvo, E., Fernández-Alba, A.R. Spatio-temporal evaluation of organic contaminants and their transformation products along a river basin affected by urban, agricultural and industrial pollution (2012) Science of the Total Environment, 420, 134-145.
6. Bueno, M.J.M., Gomez, M.J., Herrera, S., Hernando, M.D., Agüera, A., Fernández-Alba, A.R. Occurrence and persistence of organic emerging contaminants and priority pollutants in five sewage treatment plants of Spain: Two years pilot survey monitoring (2012) Environmental Pollution, 164, 267-273.
7. Gómez, M.J., Herrera, S., Solé, D., García-Calvo, E., Fernández-Alba, A.R. Automatic searching and evaluation of priority and emerging contaminants in wastewater and river water by stir bar sorptive extraction followed by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass spectrometry (2011) Analytical Chemistry, 83 (7), 2638-2647.
8. Gómez, M.J., Gómez-Ramos, M.M., Malato, O., Mezcua, M., Férnandez-Alba, A.R. Rapid automated screening, identification and quantification of organic micro-contaminants and their main transformation products in wastewater and river waters using liquid chromatography-quadrupole-time-of-flight mass spectrometry with an accurate-mass database (2010) Journal of Chromatography A, 1217 (45), 7038-7054.
9. Muñoz, I., Gómez, M.J., Agüera, A., Fernández-Alba, A.R., García-Reyes, J.F., Molina-Díaz, A. Chemical evaluation of contaminants in wastewater effluents and the environmental risk of reusing effluents in agriculture (2009) TrAC - Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 28 (6), 676-694.
10. Gómez, M.J., Gómez-Ramos, M.M., Agüera, A., Mezcua, M., Herrera, S., Fernández-Alba, A.R. A new gas chromatography/mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous analysis of target and non-target organic contaminants in waters (2009) Journal of Chromatography A, 1216 (18), 4071-4082.