Phong got his PhD from Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology in 2008. His research has been on the fate and transport of pesticides used in agriculture. Since coming to Entox he has been working on the wastewater analysis (or sewage epidemiology) to monitor the use of illicit drugs in the population. He is also involved in other research projects concerning organic pollutants monitoring and biomonitoring.
1. Thai, P.K., O’Brien J.W., Jiang, G., Gernjak, W., Yuan, Z., Eaglesham G., Mueller, J.F. (2014). Degradability of creatinine under sewer conditions affects its potential to be used as biomarker in sewage epidemiology. Water Research, 55:272-279
2. Gallen, C., Bank, A., Brandsma, S., Baduel, C., Thai, P, Eaglesham, G., Heffernan A., Leonards., Bainton, P., Mueller J.F., Towards development of a rapid and effective non-destructive testing strategy to identify brominated flame retardants in the plastics of consumer products. Science of the Total Environment (accepted 20. Jan. 2014)
3. O'Brien, J.W., Thai, P.K., Eaglesham, G., Ort, C., Scheidegger, A., Carter, S., Yin Lai, F. and Mueller, J.F. (2014).A model to estimate the population contributing to the wastewater using samples collected on census day. Environmental Science & Technology 48(1): 517-525
4. Thai PK, Jiang G, Gernjak W, Yuan Z, Lai FY, Mueller JF. (2014). Effects of sewer conditions on the degradation of selected illicit drug residues in wastewater. Water Research 48:538-547.
5. Lai F.Y., Bruno R., Leung W.H., Thai P.K., Ort C., Carter S., Lam P.K.S., Mueller J.F. (2013) Estimating daily and diurnal variations of illicit drug use in Hong Kong: A pilot study of using wastewater analysis in an Asian metropolitan city. Forensic Science International 233:126-132
6. Lai F.Y., Thai P., O’Brien, J., Gartner C., Bruno R., Kele, B., Ort C., Prichard J., Kirkbride P., Hall W., Carter S., Mueller J.F. (2013) Using quantitative wastewater analysis to measure daily usage of conventional and emerging illicit drugs at an annual music festival. Drug and Alcohol Review 32:594-602
7. Lai F.Y., Bruno R., Hall W., Gartner C., Ort C., Kirkbride P., Prichard J., Thai P., Carter S., Mueller J.F. (2013) Profiles of illicit drug use during annual key holiday and control periods in Australia: Wastewater analysis in an urban, a semi-rural and a vacation area. Addiction 108, 556–565
8. Kondo K., Boulange J., Thai PK., Hiramatsu K., Inoue T., Watanabe H. (2012) Probabilistic assessment of herbicide runoff from Japanese rice paddies: The effects of local meteorological conditions and site-specific water management. Journal of Pesticide Science 37: 312-322
9. Thai P., Inoue, T., Yoshino, K., Hiramatsu, K., Nhung, D.T.T. (2012) Temporal trend of pesticide concentrations in the Chikugo River (Japan) with changes in environmental regulation and field infrastructure. Agricultural Water Management 113, 96-104.